Elk River Guest Ranch is a perfect jumping-off point for loads of hiking. We're located on Seedhouse Road, the gateway to the Zirkel Wilderness area. During your all-inclusive stay, we can offer guided hikes in our permitted areas, or you can venture out on your own. Here are some of our favorite area hikes:
Leaving from the trails on the Ranch, you can connect to the majority of trails in the Seedhouse Corridor. The closest, named trails to the ranch are:
- Coulton Creek - Just head up the hill behind the Ranch and you'll connect to Coulton Creek, an intermediate-difficult hiking trail that can be up to 13 miles roundtrip, with about 1000 feet of elevation change. This trail connects to the majority of the trails in the Seedhouse Corridor, so almost any other trail below Coulton Creek, it just depends on how far you want to hike!
- South Fork- A short drive up Seedhouse Rd and then a right-hand turn onto FS 440 (trail is 1/4 mile up 440 on the left), the South Fork trail offers a good beginner-intermediate trail with an out-and-back to the Elk River (about 1.5 miles).
Other area trails
- Hinman Creek - 6.1 miles out and back. Rated as moderate. Connects with Diamond Peak and Coulton Creek trails.
- Gilpin Lake - 9 miles roundtrip (or 12.2 miles out and back). Head down the road the Slavonia trailhead parking area where the Gilpin Lake trailhead begins (about 9 miles down Seedhouse). This is a hike of moderate difficulty.
- Gold Creek Lake - 8 miles roundtrip. Head down the road the Slavonia trailhead parking area where the Gold Creek Lake trailhead begins (about 9 miles down Seedhouse). This is a hike of moderate difficulty.
- Zirkel Circle - 11 miles roundtrip. This hike combines the Gilpin and Gold Creek Lake hikes from above. You can start from either trailhead and continue on back to the Slavonia trailhead parking area.
- Hot Springs Trail - 4.5 miles round-trip. Drive about 12 miles from the Ranch to the Mad Creek Trailhead (you'll pass this on SR129 on your way out to the Ranch). An easy-to-moderate hike with beautiful scenery, but the best reward - a stop at Strawberry Park Hot Springs.
- Steamboat Lake State Park - Several paved trails, a bit easier and shorter than the trails listed above