While many guests' dates are restricted based on their summer schedules, we still tend to receive that question often. "When is the best time for us to come?" What many people don't realize is the answer I'm going to give you doesn't have anything to do with horses. In fact, I've come up with a list of questions that are my "go to" to figure out exactly when would be the best time for you to vacation at the Elk River Guest Ranch:
1) Do you prefer fishing or rafting? Or, do you care?
2) Are you coming with your family, spouse, girlfriend or boyfriend or by yourself?
3) If you have kids, what ages are they?
4) Do you prefer wildflowers or fall-like temperatures and colors?
And that's it! As silly as it may seem, our program revolves around horses but the time of year you come really has nothing to do with our horseback program. No matter the time of the season, that part of our program remains flexible and accommodating to suit your needs and desires.
But, as weather and who you're traveling with would have it, there are certain times of our season that our better suited than others for certain groups and individuals. Here are my thoughts for each question above:
1) Rafting is better in June and early July. If you consider all the snow we get (over 160 inches per year), just think about the high waters and rapids created by all of that snow melt in the early season. While there is fishing available all season, especially in our high mountain lakes, our rivers are saturated and more murky early in the season. Fishing in the rivers tends to be better in August and September.
2) & 3) Who you're vacationing with makes a difference in what dates I suggest for you because if you have kids and want to visit us when we have other children around the same age, I'm going to try to make that work for you. And then again, if you're traveling with adults only, you may very well only want adults on the ranch when you're here. We do offer some adults' only weeks at the beginning of September and occasionally throughout the summer.
4) This one's pretty self-explanatory, and you'll likely choose dates that reflect this if it's important to you. During the summer season of 2015, our best wildflowers were during the months of June and very beginning of July. And, our best fall colors happened to be at the very beginning of October.
The moral of the story is if you have certain things that are important to you, don't hesitate to ask Bex and Scott to try to find a solution for the dates that work best. When you visit us, we want this to be the best vacation you've ever had. And, that often begins with meeting your expectations for what you want out of the experience.