1. Expect your family size to increase. When you arrive at your Colorado dude ranch for check-in, you can expect to see strange faces for the first little while. But after a meal or two, and after a ride, and after a line dance, you're family.
2. Expect to expand your comfort zone. Don't let anyone pressure you to do stuff you don't want to do, but you will probably want to do new things. From horseback riding and barn dancing to whitewater rafting and zip lines, there's always something available that you may not have experienced.
3. Look forward to leaving your guilt at home. Indulge in all your Louis L'Amour reading pleasures without thoughts of wasting your time, or without asking, "Where's my tablet? I've got work to do."
4. Embrace smelling faintly of leather and horse. This is your one chance to smell like the outdoors and not care.
5. Look forward to climbing on big rocks. Dude ranches tend to not have "Don't walk on the grass" or "Don't climb on the rocks" signs. Enjoy your inner explorer.
6. Expect cool dry mornings, deep blue skies, glorious stars, and quaking aspens. The beach can't touch it.
7. Look forward to connecting with yourself and nature. Whether you're letting your feet cool in a mountain stream or sitting around the campfire with newly-found friends and family, you'll find that your dude ranch vacation can give you the opportunity to truly breathe, feel and experience.